Setting up off-campus proctoring
If you are located outside of the Eugene-Springfield area, you will need to obtain a remote proctor at a local college, university, or public library to administer your course exam. K-12 proctors are not accepted. You should locate a proctor by the end of Week 2.
The only exception is students located in the Portland area. For more information on Portland proctoring, see below.
If you encounter trouble locating a remote proctor, contact the Online Exam Center staff.
If you set up off-campus proctoring, you can still complete your online exams on campus. To do this, you will use the on-campus scheduling system.
How to Obtain a Remote Proctor
A remote proctor site is a secure location to take online exams. Some popular acceptable examples include local community college testing centers, continuing education sites, learning centers, and public library service desks. Searching the websites of academic institutions near you is an effective way to find proctoring services. The NCTA website also provides a long list of proctors.
1. Find and verify that the proctor will administer your exam.
You will need to contact the proctor directly and verify that they will administer your exam before submitting a request form with the Online Exam Center staff.
2. Before submitting a request form with the Online Exam Center staff, you must contact the proctor directly and verify that they will administer your exam during the timeframe that your instructor has identified for the exam.
3. Submit a request form with the Online Exam Center staff.
The Online Exam Center staff will contact your proctor and verify the location. We will notify your instructor when your remote proctor request is approved. You will also receive a confirmation email when your proctor is approved.
If you are using the same proctor throughout the term, only one request must be submitted. There is no need to submit a request for each exam.
Remote Proctoring Policies
- All fees associated with the remote proctor are the responsibility of the student.
- Proctors cannot be related to the student in any way.
- Proctors should be listed in institutions’ website directory.
- Remote proctor requests will not be approved day-of exam.
- It is the student’s responsibility to locate a proctor, and this should be done by the end of week two.
If you are taking your exams in Portland, you may be able to take them at the UO’s Portland campus located at the White Stag Building, 70 North West Couch Street, Portland, OR. There is no charge for taking exams at this site.
To sign up for exams on the Portland campus, select the Portland location on the main scheduling form.
Taking proctored exams at the White Stag Building follows the same process as on-campus proctoring. The time slots at this location are very limited. If these do not fit your schedule, you will need to locate a local remote proctor.
The computer classroom is located in room 374. You can get to the classroom by using the elevator by the library on the first floor. Exit the elevator on the third floor and the classroom is to the left.
If you need additional directions, please call 503-412-3696, contact the Online Exam Center staff or contact the Portland Library staff at 503-412-3671.